You. Guys. Spicy Roasted Broccoli with Avocado Crema. This little diddy was born out of necessity. I love cooking with southwestern and Mexican flavors, but it’s so hard to come up with accompanying side dishes. While rice and beans are muy delicioso, they are not quite the top of the nutrition chart. So enter one of my veggie boyfrans, broccoli.
Broccoli, roasted with some smoky heat, then drizzled with a generous ribbon of tangy avocado crema.
It starts simply. Fresh broccoli florets tossed in oil, salt, pepper, cayenne, and chipotle, then spread on a baking sheet. I used coconut oil, but olive or any other mild-tasting oil would be fine.
Then you throw that concoction in to roast. Meanwhile, whip up your crema. Avocado flesh, sour cream, lime juice, and a sprinkle of salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix/blend it up.
Take your freshly roasted broccoli and admire it.
And then hit it with your crema.
Perfection. Smoky, spicy, earthy broccoli cut by the tangy citrus of the crema. I’m a fan. I served mine with Five Spice Cream Cheese Chicken from Running to the Kitchen. It was a beautiful meal.
Note: This recipe makes exactly what I would recommend as the proper amount of crema drizzle. Feel free to double and make more if you love sauces or if you want an avocado crema on hand. Maybe, say, to drizzle over a chorizo and cheddar omelette? Dang. I know what I’m making this Saturday.
- 4 fresh broccoli crowns, cut into florets
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (or olive or other mild oil)
- 1 Tbsp chipotle
- 1/2 Tbs cayenne (or more, to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/4 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt if you'd rather)
- Juice of 1/2 a lime (or about 1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of onion powder
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash broccoli and cut into florets
- Lay flat in single layer on a large baking sheet
- Toss broccoli florets in oil, salt, pepper, chipotle, and cayenne
- Roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Add avocado, sour cream, lime, and spices to food processor or blender.
- Mix until smoith
- Drizzle over broccoli and serve warm